
So I've been working on the same research paper for the last two weeks, and I'm glad I started early because I've had the worst writer's block. Amber has been awesome (as usual) and last night while I was trying to make progress (and failing) she finally was like, 'you should come see Mirror Mirror with me. I'm meeting another friend, and we'll spot you.' So after she kept bringing it up for literally two hours I capitulated.

Mirror Mirror is a rehash of the Snow White tale. Or at least, that's what its presented as. Well, it starts out with the Queen narrating how Snow White was born in an attempt at a British accent. Then Julia Roberts lapses back into her normal accent and announces this is HER story. Which is fine. I'm always up for a new twist on an old story. The new twist of traditional villains being just 'misunderstood' instead of wrong is kind of getting old, (i.e. vampires are just sparkly vegetarians, dragons really aren't the enemy [I do love that movie btw] and rebellious youth really are taking a stand for what they believe in, not actually being rebellious) but hey I'll see how they twist it this time.

Well, the movie leaves you with a happy feeling but Amber and I also left slightly dissatisfied. I mean we'll totally watch it again. Great costumes, amazing scenery, the score was good. The acting by certain actors was reeeeeeeally well done (i.e. the prince [spoiler alert] being put under the spell of 'puppy love') and I did really like Julia Roberts. I always like her acting although a lot of her movies have very trashy elements or just plain not worth my time. However I did like how they left the villain as the villain, and the princess was girly. At first.

However, there were some confusing things. The movie is directed by a gentleman who has a very very Indian name, which would explain the Bollywood wedding dance at the end of the movie. However the costume designer was Japanese. So the same scene in which there was a bollywood wedding dance, the main actress wore a blue dress with a huge bow in the back which made the outfit look very kimono-ish.
The second trouble is the girl. She comes across at first as a very delicate, graceful, girly character. You know, that girl in the dorms that you love, who is very compassionate and quick to tears, and who you are always afraid you will break if you shake her hand too hard.
However, half way through the movie she dons a Catherine-Zeta-Jones-in-the-movie-Zorro outfit, learns sword-play and Jujitsu, and begins to plot to 'take back her Kingdom.'

But the thing is neither Amber nor I felt she could really put it off. She was too sweet at first it wasn't believable and then all of a sudden she was supposed to be a warrior princess. Alright alright I'm all for women learning swordplay (I did it myself for a short time when Dad was in the military). But the part that really got me was the line when they are about to face 'the beast' and Snow locks all the men in the house. She bids them adieu thru the door latice with tears in her eyes and says, 'there are so many stories where the prince saves the princess. Don't you think its time we changed that?'
SERIOUSLY?!
Just for the record, all those tales she referenced in which the guy saves the girl are so rare these days they could be listed on the endangered species list!!

The men were all too dumb to figure things out, except for the band of dwarfs every now and again. The king and prince were bewitched by the queen and needed Snow to save them. In a word, another fairy tell falls prey to the Feminist movement.
And then we saw the trailer for the new 'Brave' movie. The setting is in 'a society defined by tradition.' and yet one girl has the courage to stand up and change her future! And Amber and I looked at each other and I asked,
''Where on earth is this drive to rebel against such a 'traditional culture' coming from?!"
"I don't know. I mean, good gosh just give us another Cinderella already! I'm sick of these power-girls. It is
okay for the girl to be rescued and cared for by the guy! Good decent guys are OKAY to have!"

It was a cute move that had some great lines and definite laughs. However I don't think Its something I would spend money on to bring into the home permanently. I wish the 'tradition' that is being depicted as so toxic could be unleashed a little more. I like it. Not an overbearing amount obviously. But enough here and there to allow for chivalry! And respect for men and Caucasian societies.

My condolence is that I have a good friend who I can commiserate with and find good ol' fashioned romances and fairy tales that don't belittle men or erase the value of gentlemen. And I have a very honorable boyfriend who values my strong willed nature and independence and intelligence - and STILL is a gentleman and opens doors for me and will carry the heavier load of groceries and let me cry on his shoulder simply because I'm overreacting to a bad day.
I know there are still people out there who don't buy into all the feminist bull crap and conformist 'every one is special' crap. However, they all seem to be rather complacent to it. I wish we could have some movie writers and directors with large budgets who would stand up for tradition and values.

Which, speaking of which, if you want to see an EXCELLENT movie with GREAT acting, good humor, and a moving tale (bring a box of tissues) GO SEE OCTOBER BABY!!!!!!! It is SOOO good!!
No comments:
Post a Comment